Stud walls are useful when you want to add an extra room and help give shape to a building.
A stud wall comprises a frame of timber or metal studs secured to the floor, ceiling and walls, which is then covered with plasterboard.
This article will cover the sorts of costs you can expect to pay for a stud wall partition as well as other factors which may affect the price.
Stud Wall Partition Costs per m²
Below is a breakdown of the costs that make up a timber wall stud partition.
|Item||Cost per m² Labour||Cost per m² Materials||Total Cost Per m²|
|Timber Studs - including vertical studs, head and sole plates||£24||£14||£38|
|Timber Battens / Noggins (if required)||£2.50||£2||£4.50|
|Rockwool Insulation - 50mm thick||£1.50||£3.50||£5|
|Plasterboard to both sides; skimmed||£12.50||£4||£16.50|
You can then add on the external cladding to get a total cost per m².
|Item||Labour Cost per m²||Material Cost per m²||Total Cost Per m²|
|Moisture Resistant / Soundbloc Plasterboard (in lieu of Plasterboard)||£12.50||£6||£18.50|
|Slab Insulation (in lieu of rockwool)||£1.50||£11||£12.50|
|Plywood to both sides||£22.50||£20.50||£34|
Factors Affecting the Cost of Stud Wall Partitions
- Size of the building. The greater the quantity of timber stud partitions required, the lower the cost per m²
- Specification of the system used. Type of boarding selected, type of insulation selected etc, if plywood is required etc.
- The thickness of the structure – 50mm thick studs are going to be cheaper than 100mm thick studs etc.
- The centres at which studs are placed. If studs are placed at 400mm centres there is more cost than at 600mm centres as there is more timber used.
- Location. The prices quoted in the table above apply for the South East or Outer London area. The adjustments below can be used to calculate costs in your area.
Region % Adjustment
South East (Southampton, Oxford, Kent, Outer London) 0
Inner London +4%
South West (Bristol, Exeter) -4%
West Midlands (Birmingham) -10%
East Midlands (Northampton, Nottingham, Leicester) -10%
East Anglia (Cambridge, Norwich, Ipswich) -5%
North West (Liverpool, Manchester) -12%
Yorkshire and Humberside (Leeds, Sheffield) -11%
North East (Newcastle, Sunderland) -10%
Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow) -6%
Wales (Cardiff, Swansea) -9%
Northern Ireland (Belfast) -12%
Get Prices On Stud Wall Partitions Near You
We’ve done our best to give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay for a stud wall partition.
However, our guides are not a substitute for a fixed written quote specifically for you.
We work with all the best stud wall partition builders ready to price your job. Get free, no-obligation quotes in your local area and compare prices using the form below.
- Compare Multiple Quotes & Save Up to 40%
- Certified & Vetted Builders
- Free & No Obligation
- Local Stud Wall Partition Experts Near You