Velux windows are a great addition to your home when you’re looking to improve the lighting in a room.
Although they commonly called Velux windows, they are also referred to as skylights or roof windows. Velux is just one of the most popular brands.
There are a variety of styles and designs available to suit the visual you’re looking for. Therefore, prices range considerably depending on the specifications you’re looking.
This article will cover the costs involved in installing Velux or skylight windows and the different factors that can influence the costs.
Velux & Skylight Window Costs
We received quotes from 14 different contractors across the UK. Prices quoted exclude VAT.
|Cost of Small Velux Window (470mm x 980mm)||Cost of Large Velux Window (1340mm x 1600mm)|
|Average Supply Cost||£330||£660|
|Lowest - Highest Supply Cost||£120 - £920||£120 - £920|
|Fit Only Cost - Typical Range||£300 - £1000||£300 - £1000|
|Total Supply + Fit - Typical Range||£600 - £1000||£1200 - £1500|
There are also a number of different features you can add to your standard Velux windows. These include:
|Solar Powered Control||+£350|
|Extra Low Energy Glazing (U-value 1.0)||+£165|
|Extra Noise Reduction Glazing (U-value 0.81)||+£250|
|Standard Tile/Slate Flashing||+£70|
|Blinds||+£70 - £130|
Factors That Affect the Cost of Velux Windows
In addition to the optional additional items, there are on-site factors that can also affect the price.
- Is scaffolding required? Normally Velux or skylight windows can be fitted entirely from the inside. This means there is no need to access the roof or hire scaffolding. However, scaffolding might be required if access is difficult. Expect to pay a few hundred pounds extra if needed.
- Type of tiles and existing roof condition. Older roofs generally involve more work due to their condition.
- Roof window already there? If a new hole needs to be cut for fitting a Velux window this will increase the costs.
Will I Need Planning Permission to Install Velux Windows?
Planning permission isn’t needed as Velux windows fall under the Permitted Development directive.
However, they must meet the following criteria:
- No roof alteration can project more than 150mm from the existing roof plane
- No alteration can be undertaken higher than the tallest part of the roof
- Side facing windows must be obscure-glazed, and any openings must be 1.7m above the floor.
Skylight windows will fit these criteria easily, so you shouldn’t have any trouble with the local planning authority.
Get Prices On Velux Window Installations Near You
We’ve done our best to give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay for a Velux window installation.
However, our guides are not a substitute for a fixed written quote specifically for you.
We work with all the best Velux window installation specialists ready to price your job. Get free, no-obligation quotes in your local area and compare prices using the form below.
- Compare Multiple Quotes & Save Up to 40%
- Certified & Vetted
- Free & No Obligation
- Local Velux Window Providers Near You