Guide to Laminate Floor Installation Costs in the UK
Laminate flooring is a popular choice due to its durability, low maintenance requirements, and affordability. It looks superb and is relatively inexpensive to install compared to solid wood flooring or tiles.
Also, laminate comes in a wide variety of colours and styles, from natural wood like oak and pine to ceramic tiles and stone. Laminate flooring suits practically every home.
This is a guide to the costs of laminate floor installation in the UK and the factors that affect the cost.
Laminate Flooring Average Cost
By analysing 6 primary sources and 5 secondary sources, we discovered the following average costs of laminate flooring in the UK.
|Laminate Type||Supply Only Cost Per Metre||Supply & Install Cost Per m²|
|Oak Laminate||£10 - £30||£35 - £65|
|Walnut Laminate||£15 - £35||£35 - £65|
|Pine Laminate||£10 - £25||£30 - £60|
|Stone-Effect Laminate||£15 - £40||£38 - £70|
|Tile-Effect Laminate||£12 - £35||£36 - £65|
The table includes material, underlay, and labour costs but does not account for any floor levelling, skirting board installation, or the removal and disposal of old flooring.
Overall, you can expect the price per 10m² room to be around £650 to £1000, including removing old material, repairing skirting boards, etc.
Factors Affecting the Cost
Several factors can influence the cost of laminate floor installation :
- Material: The type of laminate flooring you choose, such as oak, walnut, pine, or stone effect, will significantly impact the overall cost of the project. High-quality laminate that closely mimics the appearance of real wood is generally more expensive. The same goes for tiles and ceramic-style laminate.
- Thickness: Thicker laminate is longer-lasting and feels more comfortable under the foot. However, it’s always more expensive.
- Underlay: The type of underlay you select will affect both the cost and the performance of your laminate flooring. Higher-quality underlays may offer better noise reduction and insulation but will also increase the overall cost.
- Installation method: The floating installation method is typically more cost-effective than the glue-down method, which is more labour-intensive, but provides a better finish.
- Room size and layout: The size and shape of the room where the laminate flooring is being installed can affect the cost. More extensive or irregularly shaped rooms may require more time, effort, and materials.
Types of Laminate Flooring
Laminate flooring is available in a wide range of styles, colours, and textures, allowing you to choose a finish that complements your home’s interior design style, decor and colour palette.
Popular types of laminate flooring include:
- Oak laminate: Oak is a popular choice for laminate flooring due to its natural, classic appearance. Oak laminate is available in various shades and finishes, from light to dark and rustic to modern.
- Walnut laminate: Walnut laminate flooring features a rich, dark colour that adds warmth and elegance to a room. It’s a popular choice for homeowners seeking a luxurious finish.
- Pine laminate: Pine laminate offers a lighter, more casual look, making it suitable for various interior design styles, from rustic to contemporary.
- Stone-effect laminate: Stone-effect laminate flooring is designed to mimic the appearance of natural stone, such as slate or travertine. This type of laminate is an affordable alternative to real stone flooring.
- Tile-effect laminate: Tile-effect laminate flooring replicates the appearance of ceramic or porcelain tiles, offering a cost-effective alternative to traditional tile flooring.
Benefits of Installing Laminate Flooring
Laminate flooring has a number of positives for its use:
Get Prices on Installing Laminate Flooring Near You
We’ve done our best to give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay for installing laminate flooring.
However, our guides are not a substitute for a fixed quote specifically for you.
We work with all the best flooring installers ready to price your job. Get free, no-obligation quotes in your local area and compare prices using the form below.
- Compare Multiple Quotes & Save Up to 40%
- Certified & Vetted Floorers
- Free & No Obligation
- Local Laminate Flooring Experts Near You